Events during 2015 have, to say the least, awakened Christians as to how far off track our country is headed. But, the things that have happened this year are just the latest in a long line of anti-God decisions that have fanned the flames of immoral and ungodly living. What has happened? It is clear that our nation is turning its back on God. What happens if He turns His back on us? Today, we’ll be looking at Romans 1 to explore this question.
I. DIFFERING JUDGMENTS OF GOD.
- One is eternal. Revelation 14.9-11; 20.13-15 – the second death … after judgment.
- Another is cataclysmic. Consequential. Sowing and Reaping, etc.
- Romans 1.18-32: The wrath of abandonment.
- It is the type of wrath exhibited by God when He turns His back on a society.
- It’s seen throughout Scripture: Judges 10.13; 16.18-21; Proverbs 1.24-31; Hosea 4.17; Matthew 15.14.
- Frightening to think about being abandoned by God. Has America reached this?
- What does it mean to be abandoned by God? See 1.24, 26, 28.
Ii. THREE STEPS IN THE PROGRESSION OF ABANDONMENT
- 1.24-25 – Step 1: Moral and Sexual Default.
- Impurity – where lust dominates the heart.
- Promiscuity. Fornication. Cohabitation. Adultery. All manner of sexual sin.
- 1.26-27 – Step 2: Homosexuality.
- 1.28 – Step 3 – A Debased Mind. What flows out of it?
- 1.29-31 – all manner of immorality.
- 1.32 – Approval and encouragement of increased sinful behavior.
III. FOUR REASONS FOR GOD’S WRATH.
- 1.19 – Revelation. (Through reason and conscience.)
- 1.21 – Rejection. Men loved darkness rather than light.
- 1.22 – Rationalization. Fools: From the word we use for “moron.”
- 1.23 – Religion. Men created their own gods to accommodate their own useless ideas.
- Psalm 81.10-16. This is what happened to Israel.
- Is there any hope? What does God want to do for us?
- Listen to His ways. Walk in His ways.
- Do you need Jesus?