In Ephesians, Paul gives us all sorts of foundational and important instructions in the epistle. Among them is the need for a worthy walk. Ephesians 6.10 emphasizes that we need to be strong. You’re not going to be able to do this on your own. 6.13 – we have to defend ourselves with the armor of God – so that we can resist in the evil day.
I. The Background:
- 6.17b – The was a small sword that might have been 18-24 in long. (A dagger)
II. Your Sword is an Offensive Weapon:
- 2 Corinthians 10.3 – We’re not waging war according to the flesh.
- 10.4 – our weapons have divine power. Our weapons:
- 10.4b – destroy strongholds.
- 10.5 – We’re doing battle with everything raised up against the knowledge of God. We’re bringing every thought captive to obey Christ.
- Ephesians 6.17b – our weapon here is that weapon. It is the word of God.
- Hebrews 4.12 – it cuts every way you use it.
III. Your Sword is a Defensive Weapon:
- 6.17b – It is used against the thrusts of Satan. Your defense: know the truth.
- 6.11 – He’s subtle. He’s wily. He has clever schemes.
- 6.17 – word of God. “Word” refers to a specific statement.
- 2 Timothy 2.15 – we must be rightly handing the word of truth.
IV. How to Search The Scripture:
- Read Scripture. 2 Peter 2.2; Acts 17.11; James 1.21 1 Corinthians 2.11-12.
- Correlate Scripture. The Bible is a symphony.
- Teach it. You’ll hold on to what you give away.
V. Why This Piece of Armor is So Powerful:
- Scripture makes several claims about itself:
- Psalm 19.7 – It is inerrant. Jude 3 – It is complete.
- Psalm 19.7-13 – it is authoritative. Isaiah 55.10-11 – It is effective.
- How does it do that?
- John 17.17 – it is the source of truth.
- Proverbs 8.34; Luke 11.28 – it is the source of happiness.
- 1 Peter 2.2 – it is the source of spiritual growth.
- Psalm 119.105 – it is the source of guidance.
- Romans 15.4 – it is the source of encouragement.
- Ephesians 6.10-17 – it is the source of spiritual victory.
VI. For Personal Application:
- Are you using the word of God to bring every thought captive to Christ?
- Do you believe in its effectiveness in combating modern godless philosophies?
- Have you trained yourself on how to use your spiritual sword, the word of God?
- How effective are you in searching the Scripture? Are you capable of handling it rightly?
- Do you see the Bible for what it is, the word of God?
- Ephesians 6.13 – How strong is your commitment to stand? If not, why not?