Have you ever wondered what it meant to be a prophet? It was anything but comfortable and easy. In fact, God often picked people to serve who felt totally unqualified. This is certainly the case with Jeremiah.
I. Jeremiah 1.4-10 – Jeremiah’s Call
- 1.4-5 – Before I formed you in the womb I knew you…before your were born, I consecrated you. I appointed you a prophet to the nations.
- 1.6-10 – Jeremiah felt unqualified, but look at how God equips him.
- Long before creation, God knew we would need a Savior – Ephesians 1.4-5.
- Romans 8.28-30. One day we will be conformed to the image of Jesus.
- Isaiah 43.6-7 – examine the personal pronouns in this text.
- 43.6b – in His church, God has sons and daughters. You are one of them.
- 43.7 – we have been called by His name. For what purpose?
II. Jeremiah 29 – The context
- 29.4-7 – It was not what they wanted to hear. They wanted to go home.
- 29.5-6 – settle down there and raise your families there.
- 29.7 – pray for the city where they lived.
- 29.10-14 – Now read this from the perspective of a Babylonian captive. 70 years!
III. Jeremiah 29.11 – God wasn’t finished with them
- 29.11 – For I know the plans I have for you. plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- “Shalom” means “completeness, wholeness, harmony, fulfillment, unimpaired relationships with others and with God.
IV. Jeremiah 29.12-14a – Move by Faith
- 29.12-13 – This is what the future and hope looked like.
- This is why we live by faith.
- The Christian acts on God’s promises before they are fulfilled.
- Hebrew 11.1 – Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. To draw comfort from God’s plans for the future, one must take them by faith.
V. Jeremiah 29.12-14a – God’s Plans are Personal
- 29.12-14a – God’s plans are not just for you – they are for you in relation to Him.
- 29.13 – God is always accessible. With all your heart – not just emotion. It has the sense of with all your will and all your energy.
- This is our challenge. This is our focus on teaching for the next year. Bloom where you are planted. God’s plan will change everything about your life.
- Do you need a change in perspective?