Colossians 1.13 – Christians have been delivered from the temporal world to an eternal kingdom. It is amazing how we get tied up in the things here and relegate the eternal to secondary status. 2 Peter 3.10 – one day everything will burn up. Do we live like we believe that? Matthew 6.19-21 challenges all of us to move from a godly, eternal perspective.
I. Galatians 1.3-4 – Delivered From the Present Evil Age.
- This passage speaks about the purpose for which Jesus died.
- 1.4 – deliver means “rescue.”
- “Age” is not referring to a time as much as it is a system or era.
- Our world is characterized by lies, deception, and Satan’s agenda.
- It is temporal. It is physical. It is passing.
II. Galatians 6.14 – We are Dead to This World.
- 6.14b – what did the cross accomplish?
- What does it mean to be crucified?
- Now, because of Jesus, we are dead to the world and it is dead to us.
- What does this mean?
- We no longer have any relation to the world.
- 2 Corinthians 10.4-5 – we are destroying arguments – everything that is lifted up against the knowledge of God.
III. Colossians 2.20 – We Have Died to the Elemental Spirits of This World.
- If you have died with Christ, you have died to the elementary.
- Anything that the world comes up with is elementary when compared to the truth of God.
- 1 Corinthians 1.27-29.
- Christians are truly profound people. We have transcendent truth.
IV. 1 John 2.15-17 – We Do Not Love the World.
- World comes from the word “kosmos.”
- Kosmos means “order” – and here it refers to the present-age system.
- 2.15 – we cannot love the world and God.
- This does not mean we should not enjoy God’s creation.
- 2.15b-16 – if we love the world, we are not a Christian.
- Why do we not love the world?
- Because of what it is. It is Satan’s system.
- Because of what it does. It incites sin.
- Because of where it is going. It is passing away, 2.17.
- Colossians 3.1-2 – where are your affections?
- 1 John 5.4-5 – we can overcome this world.
- Why would we ever value this age more than God?
- Have you responded to this truth?