During December, we’ve been talking about hearing and heeding the voice of Jesus. We’ve covered texts in John 1 and Luke 9. Today, we will look at another invitation of Jesus: this one in Matthew 11.25-30. Maybe you have part of this text memorized. It is a beloved text. The key to understanding: know what Jesus is offering: Rest. (Salvation)
I. 11.20-24 – THE CONTEXT:
- Jesus’ words were known to everyone: He is the Messiah.
- Yet, the nation doesn’t believe. Many are willfully denying their Messiah.
- 11.20-24 – Woes are pronounced on Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum.
- 11.25 – at that time Jesus declared, … this is an open declaration. An invitation.
II. 11.25-26 – HUMILITY:
- What are the things that have been hidden from the wise and understanding?
- The things that pertain to the kingdom. Hidden for those who regarded themselves as wise. See John 12.37, 43. Wisdom/intelligence blinded by pride.
- Psalm 138.6 – it’s not intelligence that gets people into the kingdom, its humility!
- 11.25 – notice how Jesus thanks God for who He is and the way He is revealing the message. The Father is in charge.
- 11.25b – things pertaining to the kingdom have been revealed to little children.
- Psalm 34.2; Proverbs 22.4; Isaiah 57.15: humility is where salvation begins.
III. 11.27 – REVELATION:
- Jesus affirms His deity. My Father.
- All things have been handed over…Everything pertaining to divine life.
- Because He possessed all the qualities of God – only the Father really knew Him.
- 11.27a – All things have been handed over to Me by My Father. Two things here:
- 11.27b – no man knows the Son except the Father.
- 11.27c – No one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal Him.
IV. 11.28a – REPENTANCE:
- 11.28 – Come unto Me all who labor and are heavy laden.
- Labor: work to the point of exhaustion, absolute fatigue.
- Heavy laden: Someone dumped a load on you & now you’re carrying it.
- This is a call to repentance. It’s a call to those who dissatisfied & will turn to God.
V. 11.28b – FAITH:
- Where your faith is aimed? Jesus. Come unto Me, ..I will give you rest.
- Come unto Me = believe in Me. Come is the equivalent to believe.
- When we act on our faith – it is with a humble heart that submits to God.
VI. 11.29-30 – SUBMISSION:
- 11.29 – Take my yoke up on you. There is submission involved in salvation.
- In Jewish culture, the concept of a yoke was transferred to a pupil w/His teacher.
- Jesus: Take my Yoke and learn from me. He’s calling for discipleship.
- 11.29b – For I am gentle and lowly in heart. Jesus is not oppressive.
- 11.29c – and I will give you rest. Rest. Sweet rest. Salvation. Will you come?