Last week, we examined Colossians 1.18-29 and looked at the incredible blessing of salvation – God dwells in us. We have been richly blessed. Today, we’re going to talk about our spiritual priesthood through Christ. What blessings do we now experience? How can that impact us in day to day life as we adorn the doctrine of Christ?
I. A LOOK AT THE OLD LAW.
- Exodus 19.10-13. God descends on Mt. Sinai.
- Hebrews 12.19-21 describes the day God gave the law.
- God was absolutely unapproachable under the old covenant.
II. WHAT CHRIST MADE POSSIBLE.
- 1 Peter 2.4-5, 9-10. As believers, we have full admission to the presence of God.
- 5 – We are priests functioning in a spiritual house.
- God is no longer untouchable. We are no longer inadmissible in His presence.
- Hebrews 4.16. We now can approach God with confidence!
- Hebrews 10.12-18…. We stand in the forgiveness provided by God.
- Hebrews 10.19-24 – The contrast continues.
- 4.16 – Confidence. Now same word here in 10.19.
- 10.20 – New and living way. Original wording means “freshly slaughtered.”
- 7.25 – He lives to make intercession for us.
- Ephesians 2.4-7 – God has made us alive – with Him. Its a statement of reality.
- 10.22 – Draw near. How is this possible?
- 10.23 – We hold fast – standing in the promise of God…
- 10.24 – We consider how to encourage others…
III. THIS LEADS TO A LIFE OF WORSHIP.
- Worship means to ascribe worth. It is honor paid to a supreme being.
- Romans 12.1-2 – We have been saved to become worshippers.
- Worship is a consuming desire to give to God.
- How do we do that? 1 Peter 2.5 – As spiritual priests, we offer spiritual sacrifices.
- Share with others.
- Romans 14.18 – Whoever thus serves … is acceptable to God.
- Romans 15.16 – Winning someone to Christ is acceptable worship.
- Philippians 4.18 – Paul thanks Philippians for sending funds.
- Live our life in goodness.
- Ephesians 5.10 – Discern what is pleasing to the Lord.
- 1 Timothy 2.2b-3a – What is good and acceptable in the sight of God?
- Share with others.
- Psalm 73.28; Romans 5.1-2.
- God finds joy in saving us. Luke 12.32; Philippians 2.13.
- The key really is surrender. Have you let Him in?