What was it about Jesus’ character that made Him such an effective servant? How did He spend every day of His life on earth living this out? What can we do going forward to become more like Him and truly live out what it means to be His disciple? Today, we’ll focus on John 8.12-30.
I. John 8.12-21 – Conflict with the Pharisees
- 8.12 – I am the light of the world. Not a light. Not a light in Jerusalem or Judah.
- It’s exclusive. It’s all-encompassing. It is a direct claim to be the Messiah.
- 8.12b – He is not a light to be looked at and admired. He is to be followed.
- 8.13 – Their leaders got it. Look at their response. This is simple unbelief.
- 7.17 – it’s a matter of the will. If you want to know the truth, you can know it.
- 8.14 – “My claim is valid because of who I am, where I’m from, and where I’m going.”
- 8.15-18 – I judge and My father judges. I testify and My father testifies.
- 8.19 – Their response: Mockery. Scorn. Sarcasm.
- 8.19b – You don’t know the Father.
- 8.21abc – This is just a scary statement: Carefully read the 3 sentences.
II. John 8.22-27 – How You Die In Your Sins
- 8.22-23a – Be Self Righteous. 8.21d – Where I am going , you cannot come.
- 8.22 – “Will he kill himself?” For the Jew, suicide was the worst. Those who killed self went straight to the darkest, deepest part of hell. 8.23a – Jesus responds.
- 8.23b – Be of the world. These people were consumed by this world.
- 8.24 – Be faithless. Your eternal destiny comes down to your decision about one person. See John 14.6. There is only one way to escape judgment.
- 8.25-27 – Be willfully ignorant. Who are you?
III. John 8.28-30 – Jesus Was the Servant of the Father
- 8.28b – I do nothing on my own authority. Jesus was the pupil of the Father.
- 8.29a – He who sent me is with me… Jesus was the companion of the Father.
- 8.29b – I always do the things that are pleasing to Him. Jesus was the servant of the Father. See Psalm 40.7-11. It’s Messianic. Jesus delighted in making atonement.
IV. How This Applies to Us:
- We do nothing on our own authority. We are disciples. We follow our Teacher.
- 2 Corinthians 5.14-15, 17; Galatians 2.20; Romans 14.7-9
- We are God’s companion. John 15.5c – for apart from me you can do nothing.
- We must always do the things that are pleasing to Him.
- This is to be our life’s ambition. 2 Corinthians 5.7, 9-10. Has it become your aim to please Him?
- 1 Thessalonians 4.1; Colossians 1.9-12 – what was a key element in the apostles teaching?
- Do you have the heart of a servant?