Romans 8.24a – For in this hope we were saved. Salvation promises future benefits. Things that are so wonderful. So glorious. So magnificent that whatever sacrifice we have to make must be made now, in this life. John also spoke of our hope in 1 John 2.28-3.3. These verse are tied together by references to Jesus’ appearing, His coming, and our hope. Today’ we’ll examine five things we can learn about our marvelous hope.
I. 1 John 2.28 – Hope is guaranteed by Abiding in Him
- 2.28 – Focus on abide in Him.. It’s a call to persevere and not defect.
- Four quick shots from Hebrews:
- Hebrews 3.6 NASU – Christ was faithful as a Son over His house – whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end
- Hebrews 3.12, 14 – if indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end.
- Hebrews 4.11 – from the negative side…
- Now back to 2.28. See the imperative? See also 5.4. What gets us through? Faith!
II. 1 John 2.29 – Hope is Realized by Practicing righteousness
- 2.29 – Everyone who practices righteousness has been born of Him. If you are a child of God – you will manifest the life that is in you. See 1.6, 2.9.
- 2.29 – we have been born of Him. What’s the result?
- 3.9a – No one born of God makes a practice of sinning…
- 4.7 – …whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.
III. 1 John 3.1a-c – Hope is Established in Love
- 1 John 3.1a – See what kind of love the Father has given to us…
- See… A point of exclamation…
- What kind of love… NASU: how great a love… Something that human experience doesn’t know. Describing something outside us; above us; or beyond us.
- Given to us. ….the most generous kind of giving. Lavished. See 4.9.
- 1 John 3.1b – That we should be called children of God…. God brought us as close as we can get.
- 1 John 3.1c – And so we are. It is a present reality.
IV. 1 John 3.2 – Hope is Fulfilled in Christ’s likeness
- 3.2a – we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared.
- 3.2b – when he appears we shall be like him because we shall see him as he is.
- Philippians 3.13-14 – this is the goal!
- Romans 8.28-30 – we’re going to be conformed to the image of the Son.
V. 1 John 3.3 – Our Hope is Characterized by Purity
- 3.3 – and everyone who thus hopes in Him purifies himself as He is pure.
- This is God’s ultimate purpose for your salvation!
- On whom do we pin our hope? On Him. Not on a place. Not on an activity.
- Living in this hope is absolutely life-changing. Have you allowed it to change yours?
- Romans 8.22-24a – Do you have this hope?