John 14.1-3 – God wants us to dwell with Him. You’re not only going to make it to the pearly gate, you’re going to get to go through them, straight into the city. And you’re going to the Father’s house, …. where you’re not a guest .. but a resident with a place prepared for you. This is where Following Jesus will take you. This is what it’s all about. This is why we do what we do. It’s why we’re here today. We want to be with Jesus. We want to be truly free, alive, and holy.
I. Revelation 21-22 – Living with God Described
- Revelation 21.3; 22.4 – God will identify with us personally. They will be His people, and God himself will be with them as their God.
- God will take care and provide for us forever.
- Revelation 21.4; 7.17.
- 21.4 – No one dies. No sadness. No grief. No pain.
- 21.12-13 – A high wall with three gates in each wall. 21.25 – the gates never close.
- 21.19-21 – it is a city of incredible wealth. 21.21 – pure, transparent gold.
- 21.22 – No temples. God lives there. Everyone can see Him and His Son.
- 21.27 – There is no sin there. No evil. There is no deceit there.
- 22.5 – There is no night there, for the Lord God will be their light.
II. What should we remember when reading revelation?
- This picture of heaven is a symbolic representation of what our new reality will be.
- 1 Corinthians 15.50: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
- Life in heaven is as real as life on earth, but heaven is not physical.
- So, what are these two passages all about?
- Consider Revelation 2-3. The struggle experienced by the 7 churches.
- Consider Revelation 6.10-11, which describes an enormous destructive conflict that caused pain, suffering, and death to Christians. Martyrs cried out to God.
- So what did heaven mean to a 1st or 2nd century reader of Revelation?
- Heaven was a place of absolute, total safety where no person could be harmed.
- Heaven was a place free of danger. There is no darkness.
- Heaven is a place where you needs are met – in abundance.
III. What if God Explained heaven to us, …in 21st Century Language?
- All pain and rejection will be gone.
- All sorrow and death will disappear. It doesn’t exist where God lives.
- There is no evil where God lives.
- There is no insecurity where God lives.
- Where God lives there is love, acceptance, joy, and peace.
- Living with God is a conditional thing. See 1 John 4.12-16; John 14.23.
- There will be no living with God eternally unless we live for Him now.