Our lesson today will be simple and straight forward. You are not alone as you deal with your flesh, 5.17. What does it mean to be led by the Spirit? How does this mean we are not under law? See 5.18. Finally, we’ll learn about three ingredients for success as you adorn the doctrine of Christ.
I. GALATIANS 5.17 – YOU ARE NOT ALONE
- Inner spiritual warfare is the nature of the Christian life.
- 5.17 describes the conflict of a thoroughly committed Christian who chooses each day to walk by the Spirit.
- Every day, we face a fierce battle between our Spirit and flesh.
- 5.17b – Result walking with the Spirit? You don’t do what you want, but what the Spirit wants you to do.
II. GALATIANS 5.18: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE LED BY THE SPIRIT?
- Before we can fully answer this question, it is important to go back to 5.16.
- Life in the Spirit is active.
- Connect to 5.24-25 – each day we crucify the Spirit with its passions and desires and we keep in step with the Spirit.
- Our regular and consistent cooperation.
- Now, 5.18 – Led by the Spirit. Passive, responding under pressure and control.
- Life in the Spirit.
- 3.3 – Spiritual life begins in the Spirit. 4.29 – We are born by the Spirit.
- 5.22-23 – It is the Spirit that transforms our character.
- 5.18 – Submit to the Spirit? No longer under control of the rule of law.
- How does the Spirit lead?
- The surest answer: through the precepts and principles of Scripture – Ephesians 3.3-5; 6.17.
- Philippians 2.12-13 – Has the Spirit retired – while Satan is alive and well?
- The lifestyle as directed by the Spirit is all we need.
III. THREE INGREDIENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- Get in the Word. Get under it’s influence. See Psalm 119.25-40.
- Lead an active prayer life. Psalm 140.4-7; Philippians 4.6.
- Look for how God draws near to you. See James 4.8.
- Philippians 1.6 – You’re never alone!
- 2 Corinthians 3.18 – There is something bigger than you in you working to transform you into the image of Christ.
- Ephesians 6.10-13 – We’re not just dealing with the human realm.
- Get in the Word. See God in Prayer. Look for how God draws near to you.