For Paul, eternity was the focus of his life. This is illustrated throughout Philippians. It was about pursing the prize. That is, the expectation and hope of the coming of Jesus who will change us to be like Him. In Philippians 3.20 we find that our citizenship is in heaven. Is it the focus of our life?
I. What is the Focus of Your Life?
- Philippians 3.14 – Focus on the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Paul looked forward to a better place. How close is this message to us? Are we living this out?
- What are we most emphasizing in our life? What’s the biggest thing?
- Three things that distract our focus?
- Materialism. Are you laying up treasure on earth, Matthew 6.19-21? Where is your heart?
- Delayed Gratification.
- Philippians 3.20. Our citizenship is in heaven. Look back to 3.19. See how this is used in contrast of minds set on “earthly things.” The “our” in 3.20 is emphatic. We are not citizens of this world.
- 3.20 connects with 1.27: manner of life. Citizenship has to do with how you live in a community. We must guard against becoming so entrenched here so that we do not want to leave here.
- 3.20b – From it we eagerly await a Savior.
- John 14.2-3 – If he returns today, are you prepared?
- Romans 8.18-23 – we are groaning – longing for what is to come.
- 2 Peter 3.12 – we need to be waiting for and hastening … the day of God.
- 3.11 – it motivates us to lead lives of holiness and godliness.
- 1 John 3.3 – if we have this hope in us, we purify ourselves.
- 1 Corinthians 3.11-14 – one day your work will be tested by fire.
- 2 John 8: Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward.
- 1 Corinthians 4.5 – When the Lord comes, he will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart.
- John 14.2-3; Acts 1.11; John 6.39; Philippians 3.21. These things will happen.
- It doesn’t matter what happens here, nothing is going to change God’s promises.
- Why? See 1 Peter 1.3-4. There is an inheritance reserved for you.
- Philippians 3.20 – What’s your attitude? Are you eagerly awaiting?
- What are we anticipating? 3.21a – we want to be transformed. See 1 John 3.2.
- 3.21b – how’s He going to make this happen? By His power. Are you ready?