Genesis 2 presents a great contrast: between perfection and corruption. Three principles are seen throughout the chapter: 1) God wants mankind to experience joy and happiness in this life. 2) God gives mankind the best. 3) God is incredibly good. As we study 2.18-25 today, we’ll see God’s original design for marriage and family. We’ll learn more about God’s intent for marriage. Will we honor God by adorning our lives with His teaching?
I. GENESIS 2.18: A HELPER LIKE HIM.
- 2.18. It is still day 6. God says, it is not good that the man should be alone.
- Helper – means someone like him, or corresponding to him.
II. GENESIS 2.19-20: THE ANIMALS ARE NAMED.
- 2.19-20. Note that: God formed or built every animal and bird out of dirt.
- God brought every animal and bird to Adam so he could name them.
- Have you ever wondered why 2.19-20 are inserted here?
- God is setting up the scenario for the creation of woman.
- As animals pass by in pairs, there was no one for Adam. See 2.20b.
III. GENESIS 2.21-23: THE CREATION OF WOMAN.
- 2.21 – God creates woman from man.
- 2.22 – “Made” describes a builder who builds something that is beautiful.
- 2.23 – Adam is overwhelmed. Paradise is now complete.
IV. GENESIS 2.24-25: GOD’S COMMENTS ON MARRIAGE.
- 2.24 – This is the only Biblical definition for marriage. We see three things here:
- A leaving. A uniting. A public declaration.
- Monogamous, heterosexual marriage is the divine standard.
- 2.25 – Adam and Eve, at the end of day 6, were perfectly innocent. A perfect love.
V. WHAT’S HERE FOR US?
- Scripture places the highest honor on marriage.
- 1 Peter 3.7 – Peter calls it the grace of life.
- Marriage is the very best. No relationship outside of it can ever come close to the joy and fulfillment it provides.
- The understanding of these principles used to be understood in society.
- Before sin, Adam and Eve would have known nothing about betrayal, hurt, physical, emotional, or mental abuse, disenchantment, or regret.
- Why has Satan consistently and constantly attacked marriage and family? Because it is the defining relationship of human life.
- We all need to appreciate the wisdom in God’s design. It needs to be respected.
- Since these things are true, will we trust Him?
- Have you entrusted your eternity to Him? You can’t go wrong when you do.