Today, we’ll look at Psalm 103-104. They both declare that God is inherently good. As we study together, look for three important lessons: 1) God made all things. 2) God sustains all things. 3) God seeks and receives glory from all things. Also, be sure to look for the goodness of God’s ways. They are what is best for us. Will we have the faith that expresses itself in trust?
I. PSALM 104.1-4: A CALL FOR PRAISE.
- 104.1a – Call for praise.
- 104.1b – Statement: YHWH, My God, is very great.
- 104.1c-4 – 7 Proofs of greatness to explain how God is great.
- 104.1c – God is clothed with splendor and majesty.
- 104.2a – He covers Himself with light.
- 104.2b – He spreads out the heavens as a curtain.
- 104.3a – He lays the beams of His chambers out on the waters.
- 104.3b – He makes the clouds His chariot.
- 104.3c – He rides on the wings of the wind.
- 104.4 – He makes His messengers (the angels) flames of fire.
II. PSALM 104.5-9: MEDITATION ABOUT GOD’S AUTHORITY.
- 104.5 – God established the earth on its foundations.
- 104.6-8 – He gathered the waters and caused the dry land to appear.
- 104.9 – Does this passage support godless theories advanced today?
III. PSALM 104.10-23: MEDITATION ABOUT GOD’S GOODNESS.
- 104.10-11 – He provides water for the beasts of the field.
- 104.12 – He lines the streams with trees – to give birds a place to dwell and sing.
- 104.13 – He provides rain – the earth is satisfied with (His) work.
- 104.14a – He makes the grass to grow for the cattle.
- 104.14b-15 – He provides plants for our food.
- 104.16-18 – He provides for the animal kingdom.
- 104.19-23 – The moon marks the seasons, the sun sets the day apart from the night.
- 104.24 – This leads to praise.
IV. PSALM 104.25-30 – MEDITATION ON GOD’S PROVIDENCE.
- 104.25-29a – The innumerable sea creatures – look to God for their food.
- 104.29b-30a – He gives them life. If He takes away their breath, they die.
- 104.30b – He constantly renews the face of the earth.
V. PSALM 104.31-35 – PRAISE FOR THE PERMANENCE OF GOD’S GLORY.
- 104.31-32 – God made the earth. He has the power to subdue it.
- 104.33-34 – Because God is great, the Psalmist will:
- 104.33 – He will sing praise God.
- 104.34a – He will meditate on God.
- 104.34b – He will rejoice in the Lord.
- 104.35 – Prayer of destruction of the wicked from the earth.
- Since God is so great, loving, and kind – will you trust Him to guide your paths?