Ours is a nation running from God. It’s seen throughout the culture. We are failing future generations by rearing them with a secular background. This will be the nation’s undoing if left unchecked. Unless godly people act now, our nation will reap the whirlwind, Hosea 8.1-4, 7-8. Today, we want to take a look at the systematic removal of God from American schools.
Biblical Principles on Raising Kids.
- Psalm 127.1-5 – First of all – children are a heritage of the Lord. They are a reward and to be counted as a blessing – not a burden.
- Deuteronomy 6.4-9 – Great words for a family living inside a godless culture.
- 6.5 – Parents relationship with God should be defined by love.
- 6.6-9 – Children need spiritual and moral direction. Not inborn. This responsibility falls squarely on parents.
- Not the job of the school, government, media, or church.
- How these things play out in every day life:
- Unconditional love.
- Graceful discipline. Hebrews 12.11.
- Leading kids to prioritize spiritual responsibilities. Matthew 6.33.
- Imparting to kids the hope found only in Christ.
The World That Was: Schools Backed Up What Was Already being Taught at Home.
- Along with many other things going on in this great culture war, every effort is being made to eradicate all public references to God and Christianity.
- God was once everywhere in our public schools. Dave Miller in his DVD series The Silencing of God has gone to great length to document this.
- The first book in the American classroom was the Bible.
- The New England Primer.
- McGuffey Reader. The standard reading textbook of the 19th century.
- The Blue Back Speller – by Noah Webster.
- As we move into the early 20th century & middle of the 20th century – these things began to change. Many factors:
- Educational reform led by Horace Mann and John Dewey.
- Urbanization & immigration – creating cultural diversity… differing world views.
- Changes really began to gain ground in 1960’s.
- There will never be a substitute for the teaching that is to be done in the home.
- The time is now. Those with children in their home – or those with grandchildren who are being raised now – no time in our history has been more urgent in the need to raise our kids up to respect God.
- Psalm 128: As the family goes – so goes the nation. What’s going on in your family?