Roger Ellsworth has called Psalm 139 “The Crown of the Psalms.” It is twofold, being a prayer of praise and petition. It divides neatly into two sections, (139.1-18 and 19-24). The Psalm is moving, as David contemplates the wonder of our God.
I. 139.1-6 – The vast and incomparable knowledge of God.
- 139.1 – O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
- 2a – You know when I sit down and when I rise up. See also Luke 12.7.
- 2b – You discern my thoughts from afar.
- 3a – You search my out my path and my lying down.
- 3b – (You are) acquainted with all my ways.
- 139.4 – Even before a word is on my tongue, …you know it all together.
- 139.5 – You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
- 139.6 – David couldn’t grasp all this. It was beyond his understanding.
II. 139.7-12 – God is Everywhere.
- 139.7 – Where shall I go from your Spirit? Where shall I flee from your presence?
- 139.8 – no matter how high or how low – God is there.
- 9a – If I take the wings of the morning…the dawn as it breaks over the horizon.
- 9b – dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea…
- 139.10 – Even there, God’s hand would lead him. God’s hand would hold him.
- 139.11-12: If we went to the darkest place, God would be there.
III. 139.13-16 – How is it that David knows this?
- 13a – God formed our inward parts. God put us together.
- 13b – God knitted us together inside the womb.
- What goes on in the womb is an act of God. God weaves together our very life.
- 14a – We are fearfully and wonderfully made. By whom?
- 14b – God. Wonderful are YOUR works. Life is precious.
- 139.15 – our bones and muscles were not hidden from God inside the womb.
- 15b – intricately woven in the depths of the earth… See Genesis 2.7.
- 16a – unformed substance: Hebrew “something wrapped together, to fold together.”
- 16b – HCSB: All my days were written in your book and planned before a single one of them began. Connects to Job 14.5 which says God determines the number of our days…
IV. 139.17-18 – God’s attention to us is not a passing thing.
- You are not a distraction to God.
- You have been created in His image for HIs purposes.
- With what we’ve studied here, I hope you can see the absolute tyranny of abortion.
- It is the purposeful taking of a precious life that has been formed by God.
- We need to be teaching that God has ordained the sexual relationship only for marriage.
- But, we also need to be teaching that if temptation is yielded to and a pregnancy happens, that life is precious.
- If we know someone who has had an abortion, we need to be presenting the gospel of grace.
- What can we take from today’s lesson?
- God wants you to connect with Him.
- Will you come to Him?