Today, we’re going to revisit Titus 2 and focus on women/mothers and their role inside the family. God has a magnificent and wonderful design for women. It will make them a blessing to the world and bring fulfillment to their life. In this lesson, we’ll examine Titus 2.4-5 in depth and discover four main points that can be derived from the text.
I. 2.4 – FAITHFUL MOTHERS: LOVE THEIR HUSBAND AND CHILDREN
- Young women: those who are of child bearing age.
- Remember “love” here is not always a love of emotion – it is a love of sacrifice.
- They are to love their children. (children-lovers)
- A mother has tremendous power and privilege – impacting the next generation in a godly way.
- Everyday, they’re sacrificing their life on behalf of their kids.
II. 2.5a – FAITHFUL MOTHERS: ARE SELF-CONTROLLED AND PURE:
- 2.5 – Self-controlled (sensible – NASB)
- Sound judgment, common sense, right thinking, or right priorities.
- 2.5 – They are pure. This describes chasteness, sexual faithfulness.
- It begins on the inside. See 1 Peter 3.3-4 – the adornment of the heart.
- 1 Timothy 2.9 – with “modesty” and “self control.”
III. 2.5b – FAITHFUL MOTHERS: ARE WORKERS AT HOME:
- 2.5 – Greek: “Work” and “House”
- The sphere of a woman’s life is in her home. It’s her domain.
- She is all about the betterment of home and family.
- It’s sad that this point is controversial in our changing world.
- Heart of feminist agenda is to change this. One feminist writer has called being a housewife as an “illegitimate profession.”
- But yet, it’s not about chauvinism that says a woman’s place is in the home.
IV. 2.5c – FAITHFUL MOTHERS: ARE KIND AND SUBJECT TO THEIR HUSBANDS:
- 2.5 – they are gentle, tenderhearted, merciful, and thoughtful.
- 2.5 – subject to husbands -reminds us of Paul’s teaching in Ephesians 5.22. She submits as God has designed the order of the family.
- I hope we can see the essentiality of faithful mothers. Truly, a family will not be what it needs to be without her dedicated love and service.
- Have you been saved?