The most successful local church of any time is undoubtedly the Jerusalem church in Acts. We can be like the Jerusalem church. Kettering is setting the example in so many areas. So, what should be our vision as we move forward? Today we’ll talk about a few things that, if we clarify for all to understand, and then apply – we’ll find ourselves at the beginning of something very special.
I. CONSTANT AND UNLIMITED GROWTH
- Just how big was the Jerusalem church? 3000 in Acts 2.41; 5000 men in 4.4.
- We need to be constantly converting, grounding, and keeping people.
II. HAVE ALL HANDS WORKING
- The Jerusalem church had all sorts of full time workers. 12 apostles.
- Acts 13.1 – the church in Antioch had at least 5 prophets and teachers.
- As the church grows larger, there is more work needed.
- Acts 8.4 – everyone taught others.
- Acts 2.44-47 – everyone ministered to one another.
- Ephesians 4.11-12. Leaders equip. Saints serve.
- Everyone does something and thus everything gets done.
III. GET THE WORKERS THAT ARE NEEDED
- We need more full-time workers to be equippers and trainers in the gospel.
- Think of the principle of Ephesians 4.11-12.
- Think back to what we read previously in Acts 13.1. 5 full-time teachers…
- Why is this necessary? Our society has changed over the last 5 decades.
- Acts 11.23-26 – we need to be like Barnabas.
IV. BECOME A CLOSER-KNIT FAMILY
- No one person or small group can do everything. See Acts 6.1-6.
- Acts 2.41-47 and 4.32-37 – Those at Jerusalem grew closer to who they could.
V. SACRIFICE TO MAKE THE CHURCH SUCCESSFUL
- Read Acts 4.34-37. Every member sacrificed to make the church successful.
- 1 Peter 4.10-11 – Will we use our abilities to serve our brethren and glorify God?
- Continued success depends on the willingness of each member to give freely.
VI. BE COMMITTED TO OVERCOMING PROBLEMS
- The Jerusalem church was not problem free. See Acts 3, 5, 6, 15.
- In every case they had members who were committed to overcoming problems.
- What about today? What happens when problems come?
- With God working through us, we will accomplish more than we ask or think – Ephesians 3.20.
- Do you need Jesus?
Download Brief Outline (PDF)
Download Keynote (PDF)