Ephesians is built around the concept of the church as the body of Christ. 1.22-23 says Jesus is the head of the body – manifesting His will through the function of the body. The church is not an organization – it is people. In Ephesians 1 – Paul goes back into eternity past – show has God master planned the church before the world began.
I. Why This is So Important
II. Ephesians 1.3 – The Spiritual Blessings in the Heavenlies
- 1.3a – Who is the blessing for? Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
- 1.3b – Who gives the blessings? …who has blessed… God who loves to give.
- James 1.17 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,…
- Romans 8.28 – all things work together for good for those who are called according to his purpose.
- 1.3c – Who is blessed? Us. (Believers)
- 1.3e – With what have believers been blessed? with every spiritual blessing.
- Prayer – The Spirit intercedes, Romans 8.27.
- Love – God’s love has been poured into our hearts, Romans 5.5.
- Peace – My peace I give to you…let not your heart be troubled, John 14.27.
- Joy – Jesus left his joy in you, so that your joy may be full, John 15.11.
- Strength – I can do all things through Jesus who strengthens me, Philippians 4.13.
- God has already dispensed with every spiritual blessing. 2 Peter 1.3 – His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness.
- 1.3f – Where are our blessings? in the heavenlies. These are realized by walking by the Spirit, Galatians 5.16-24.
- 1.3c – How do we receive these blessings? in Christ. All that is His is yours.
III. How This Impacts Your Life
- 1.4a – You are part of something planned before the foundation of the world.
- This does not mean God chose some to go to heaven, while selecting everyone else to go to hell.
- John 3.16-18 – esp. 3.18 – whoever believes is not condemned…
- Matthew 22.1-4 – Jesus said people must accept the invitation.
- So then, who did God chose? See 1.3 – Those who are in Christ.
- John 1.12 – God chose those who have accepted Jesus.
- The resources that are available to you are unlimited. See Ephesians 3.20
- What we’ve talked about today are available only to those who are in Christ.
- Have you found him?