In 2 Corinthians 13. Paul is wrapping up his letter to the Corinthians. In 13.11, he calls for the Corinthian church to aim for restoration, or be made complete. What does it mean to aim for restoration? What four ways is that made possible?
I. 13.11a – Aim for Restoration.
- NASU: be made complete. Root word: “to put in order.”
- Ephesians 4.11-13…
- Elders, evangelists, and teachers help everyone function together in harmony.
- Every Christian must become more like Jesus – and help others do the same.
- Aim toward harmony. Aim for consistency.
- So, how does each member help their spiritual family aim for restoration?
- Everyone can help bring the church in order – by getting themselves in order.
- Sin needs to be eliminated. Strained relationships need to be restored.
- Laziness, apathy, indifference – need to be turned into energy and commitment.
- D. 2 Corinthians 13.5 – this starts within our hearts. Make things in order in your life.
II. Four Key Elements in Aiming for Restoration.
- Rejoice. Our lives should be characterized by joy.
- It is a fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5.22. It should be growing in your life.
- Consider Philippians 4.4; 1 Thessalonians 5.16; 1 Peter 4.13
- Jesus is alive. He promised to fill our life with joy, John 16.22.
- What should produce constant joy?
- Our sins are forgiven, Romans 8.1; Colossians 2.11-14.
- Our past has been dealt with, Psalm 103.12; 1 Timothy 1.12-15.
- Our present is under the control of the Holy Spirit, Romans 8.14.
- Our future is secure by the promises of God, 2 Peter 1.3-4.
- Romans 8.28 – There is no problem that can overpower the purposes of God.
- Comfort One Another. Means: “to call on for exhortation, or encourage.”
- Encourage what?
- Submission to God. Obedience to His ways.
- Main emphasis here is positive.
- Hebrews 10.24-25; Hebrews 3.13; Titus 3.8
- Good works? Prayer. Investing time. Listening. Helping. Being together.
- Agree With One Another. Means: to think the same thing. NASU: Be Like Minded.
- We need to agree with one another because we all understand the truth of God.
- Philippians 1.27 – God wants us to understand the gospel the same way. It is objective truth. Sound doctrine establishes the basis for all functions of the church.
- Live in Peace.
- Key? Having the same thoughts.
- How is it generated…and how do we continue to build peace?
- Romans 12.16 – Submission to God’s ways and expressing joy in that truth.
- Encourage what?
- When we aim for restoration, what happens? 2 Corinthians 13.11b.
- The powerful presence of God flourishes here.
- How are you contributing? Can we help you get to know Jesus?