What is the Biblical perspective on sex? Today, we’ll be in 1 Thessalonians 4. Looking at three things: What is God’s will? How can we live inside His will? Why we must live by His will?
I. GOD’S WILL:
- 4.3 – abstain from sexual immorality.
- Refer to 4.1. Walk (with) and please God. Do so more and more.
- 4.3 is an explanation of how to do this.
- Abstain: stay away.
- Sexual immorality: a general term – covering all forms of sexual sin.
- Ephesians 5.3-4 – no kind of immorality. No sexual sin. No impurity.
- Colossians 3.3-6 – our life is hidden with God.
- 4.3 – God’s will involves our sanctification.
II. BUT, HOW CAN I?
- 4.4 – Control your body in holiness and honor.
- 1 Corinthians 6.12-13, 15: Body can’t be allowed to master you.
- 1 Corinthians 9.27: Paul disciplined His body and kept it under control.
- How to control? Walk by the Spirit – Galatians 5.16-17.
- How can I walk? Be filled with the Spirit – Colossians 3.16.
- 4.5 – Don’t act like the world who does not know God.
- What the world does is not the way Christians live.
- Galatians 5.24 – don’t get caught in the worldly trap.
- 4.6 – Don’t take advantage of others.
- The wronging in this verse involves taking something greedily and selfishly at someone else’s expense.
- It’s really that simple. And, it’s really that treacherous.
III. WHY SHOULD I KEEP GOD’S WILL?
- 4.6b – The Lord is an Avenger. Hebrews 13.4 – God will judge sexual sin.
- 4.7 – God’s purpose. The call of salvation is a call to holiness.
- Ephesians 5.25-27 – Jesus wants to present His church without spot or blemish. Sexual sin is utterly inconsistent with this.
- 4.8 – God’s Spirit.
- Who gives His Holy Spirit to you – its an unceasing gift. It’s continuous.
- When we choose sexual sin – we literally reject God, His Son, and His Spirit.
- Fellow Christians, let’s reread 1 Thessalonians 4.1.
- There is forgiveness at the cross.
- If you’re engaging in some form of sexual immorality – repent. Turn away.
- You can find deliverance through God. 1 Corinthians 6.11.